While people can probably name the same few famous Black Seattleites, the goal of Black Seattle was to celebrate others who are out there doing wonderful things. By celebrating Black excellence at the everyday level, we were able to honor the distinct culture of Black Seattle in an authentic way.
From serious conversations to delicious lunches, we had a wide range of events to honor Black History Month, including:
- A celebration catered by That Brown Girl Cooks, a culinary brand that hosts a collective of flavorful innovations by Chef Kristi Brown
- Daily digital studio art portraying Black excellence in Seattle history
- Savoring lunches from Black-owned businesses, including the delicious Pam’s Kitchen, Dayo Sense, Taste of the Caribbean, and Island Soul
- Reading local author Ijeoma Oluo’s So You Want To Talk About Race? and discussing it in an inclusive book club environment
We also hosted several panel discussions, including:
- A “Between Two Figs” event that welcomed PPMDs from various backgrounds to our studio for a conversation about their journey at Deloitte. By giving more visibility to these leaders and their experiences, we hope to foster an inclusive culture within the studio as employees of all backgrounds are able to see themselves in organizational leadership
- An artist panel on Black art in Seattle with visual artist (and former Deloitte Digital professional!) Barry Johnson and musicians Eva and Cedric of the Black Tones, moderated by local artist and mover/shaker Vivian Phillips
“It’s pretty amazing what committed and inspired people can do. The Seattle Studio Inclusion Initiative group is the heart, soul, and hands of all this Black History Month programming. I am so proud of us and looking very forward to next year.” – Melissa Thelemaque, Digital Engagement Manager, Deloitte Digital
Inclusion is who we are. And while Black History Month is an important time to talk about and honor African Americans in our community, it’s our goal to continue these conversations all year long. Learn more about how inclusion touches every aspect of our experience at Deloitte.